1. I'd first like to point out that not only do the Chicago White Sox have the best record in the major leagues, they beat the Cubs today.
2. The other day, I was watching television (what else is new?) and I saw a commercial for Dove soap, currently using "Campaign for Real Beauty" as their advertising slogan. It took me a minute, but it dawned on me that the song they were playing in the background was "Heart", from "Damn Yankees", which reminded me that Allan Sherman, bless his heart, had done a spoof of that song called "Skin": "Ya gotta have skin, all you really need is skin, skin is good to keep your outsides out, and helps keep your insides in." And, later in the song, "On the inside you put lemon meringue, and outside you hang your clothes." I have not been able to find all of the lyrics for that song, unfortunately. I guess I'll have to buy the album. And maybe while I'm at it, I'll buy the rest of his albums. Allan Sherman was a riot.
3. I also saw the latest advertisement for Aquafina water, featuring a man in a bear suit. This, of course, reminded me of something that a beer executive had said years ago about Coors beer, that the only difference between their beer and Coors was that "Coors has bears pissing in their water." Needless to say, this had me laughing pretty hard, when suddenly, said man-in-bear suit made a remark about salmon spawning, recalling this line from W. C. Fields: "I don't drink water; fish fuck in it."
4. It's pretty bad when the commercials are better than the shows.
5. Speaking of which, Geena Davis is getting ready to star in a show called Commander in Chief, no doubt preparing us for the inevitability of a female president in the immediate future. Of course, it doesn't prepare us for the first female president being an African American Republican, but one can't have everything. (ooh, I'm gonna get spanked for that.)
6. I read anderyn's review of the latest Star Wars movie, which absolves me from going to see it. I've heard that even Yoda sucks in it. (That's not my joke, but I can't remember where I heard it.) I suppose we'll have to rent it sometime, when Mary decides she wants to see it...
7. I just ordered Jamey Aebersold's playalong book featuring the music of Cole Porter. I'm hoping to get back into playing over the summer.
8. I'm going to be busy the next couple of weeks. Oh, boy, money!
More as time allows.