The dialect meme
Where did you grow up (ages 5-15)? Chicago, IL
What do you call...
1. a body of water, smaller than a river, contained within relatively narrow banks?
2. the thing you push around the grocery store?
3. a metal container to carry a meal in?
4. the thing that you cook bacon and eggs in?
a frying pan
5. the piece of furniture that seats three people?
6. the device on the outside of the house that carries rain off the roof?
7. the covered area outside a house where people sit in the evening?
8. carbonated, sweetened, non-alcoholic beverages?
9. a flat, round breakfast food served with syrup?
10. a long sandwich designed to be a whole meal in itself?
11. the piece of clothing worn by men at the beach?
12. shoes worn for sports?
13. putting a room in order?
14. a flying insect that glows in the dark?
15. the little insect that curls up into a ball?
I have no idea...
16. the children's playground equipment where one kid sits on one side and goes up while the other sits on the other side and goes down?
17. How do you eat your pizza?
with a knife and fork, if it's deep dish; otherwise, hold it by a convenient corner and eat it from the other end. (In Chicago, It's not unusual for thin-crust pizza to be cut into squares.)
18. What's it called when private citizens put up signs and sell their used stuff?
a garage sale.
19. What's the evening meal?
20. the thing under a house where the furnace and perhaps a rec room are?
21. an unusually heavy rain which does not last long?
22. a window covering on rollers that pulls down?
23. a new, limited access, multi-lane road?
24. heavy garments worn for work?
25. an area of trees, greater than an acre?
26. when they ask for paper or plastic they are talking about?
27. girls' lower-half underwear?
28. boys' lower-half underwear?
29. the cloth you had when you were little and always slept with, and perhaps sucked your tongue with?
30. warm knitted top typically made of wool?